If you are interested in submitting a proposal for the Saraba Manuscript Prize (Nonfiction Category), you have until March 31 to do so.
According to the Press Release, “…we requesting proposals for nonfiction manuscripts on a writing project to be completed by August 2016. The writer of each successful proposal will be awarded the sum of 200,000 naira advance against royalties: 100,000 naira as a pre-completion commission and another 100,000 naira upon commission. 4 writers will be commissioned for the nonfiction project.”
They expect to commission writers aiming to work on manuscripts of a minimum of 10,000 words and a maximum of 25,000.
What kind of manuscripts would the judges favour?
The judges’ bias is for creative nonfiction work—memoirs, biographies, and reportage. They are keen on quality writing, regardless of what format it is presented, that reflects contemporary Nigeria. Read the submission guidelines and additional details on the evaluation process.
Want to apply?
- Send a one-page cover letter containing a one-paragraph biographical statement and brief (2-4 sentences) description of the project. Please include any previous publications in the biographical statement. The cover letter should be single-spaced.
- Include a maximum two-page overview of the project, including a description of what research needs to be undertaken, if any.
- A minimum of 10 pages (2,500 words) writing sample of a recent nonfiction work (published or unpublished). All required materials should be included as the initial pages of your manuscript file (sent as a .docx or .pdf file)
- Include your name and contact information only in the Submittable page and not anywhere in your proposal.
- All proposals will be judged blind by Saraba’s nonfiction editors, and confirmed by the mentors. There will be no longlist or shortlist; commissioned writers will be announced by the end of May 2016.
- To submit a proposal for the nonfiction project, please select “Saraba Manuscript Prize Nonfiction Category.”
- Previous guidelines apply.
For enquiries, contact the prize administrator, Olaoluwa Akinoluwa, firstname.lastname@example.org.