The fourth Garden City Literary festival will hold from 12 – 17 September, 2011 in Port Harcourt.
The 2011 will have in its attendance very influential literary giants and human rights activists. According to the GLCF press release, Chinua Achebe, Ama Ata Aidoo and Rev. Jesse Jackson shall be gracing the festival.
At the opening ceremony, on Wednesday 14th September, Prof. Chinua Achebe will give the keynote speech (via video) on the general theme of “Literature and Politics”. Rev. Jesse Jackson will give an address on ‘The African Struggle for Democracy: lessons from the American Civil Rights movement’, while Ama Atta Aidoo will speak on ‘Gender spaces in African literature and politics’.
PARTICIPATION IN WRITERS WORKSHOP
1. All intending participants must submit short stories between 500-1500 words only (please highlight how many words your story contain for our records). You should submit only your best story.
2. A one page personal CV must accompany submission of your work
3. A brief paragraph about what you intend to learn from your chosen workshop should be submitted.
4. All manuscripts must be double spaced with a header showing:- ‘’author to the left’’, ‘’title in the middle’’ and ‘’page number to the right’’.
5. Handwritten entries or entries that do not adhere to No. 4 will not be accepted.
1. Only one poem (no longer than 1000 words) must be provided(please note- synopses or abstracts will not be accepted).
Deadline for submissions is 12.00 noon (Central West Africa time) ,19 August, 2011.
For more information, Go to the GLCF Website.