Today, Creative Writing News plays host to Nigerian-American author, Nike Campbell-Fatoki. This is the first of all the ten stops in her week-long online book tour. You can read the tour schedule HERE. Now, please join us as we listen to readings from her Modern African literature story collection titled Bury Me Come Sunday Afternoon.

I enjoyed reading this fantastic short story collection. And I’ve been looking forward to this book tour, much like everyone else who has read the book. Most of us have questions for her. Others might become more curious after they’ve listened to the audio and read excerpts. And thankfully, Nike Campbell-Fatoki will be here to answer your questions.

For the benefit of those who haven’t read the book, we’ll start by giving a quick summary of the plot. Scroll further down to hear Nike Campbell-Fatoki reading from Bury Me Come Sunday Afternoon. Write your questions in the comments section. Join in the discussion with the author. Share. Invite your friends. Enter the draw by asking questions and participating in the tour. Triple your chances of winning by ordering a copy. Copies are available online: Click the order form at Quramo Publishing Ltd .

The books are also available at Patabah bookstore, Quintessence bookstore, Unilag bookstore and Salamander (Abuja).

Let’s begin.

Book Description

Bury Me Come Sunday Afternoon_Cover.inddIn this short story collection, Nike Campbell-Fatoki filters the lives of contemporary Nigerians through a colourful and vivid prism, where past sins come to upset settled lives, where lost lives fuel a campaign for a better future and nothing is as it seems. She explores well-known themes but delves a little deeper, questioning our ideas about people, our impressions and prejudices. Bury Me Come Sunday Afternoon depicts the struggles of a young ambitious and hardworking Nigerian abroad with the same insightful candour as it does the tale of a brilliant but broken woman struggling with mental illness.

Listen To Nike Campbell-Fatoki  read from the first story of the collection. It’s a memorable tale titled The Apartment.

Here’s the excerpt you just heard

I knocked on the door of apartment twenty-four for the third time. The smell of iru (locust beans) filled the hallway. If I do not get this food in soon, occupants of the second floor will call Mr Theodore, the building manager, about the odd smell in the building. I shook my head and knocked louder. Footsteps approached the door. Tamuno opened it, his towel wrapped around his waist; dark hair covered his broad chest. When he looked down at me, his shaved head glistened. He looked well-groomed with a goatee.

“Bros, good evening,” I said, handing him the plastic bag of food.

“You try for me, Ade. I swear! Ever since you introduced me to this restaurant I’ve been hooked! They put something for the food?”  Tamuno joked.  I chuckled.

He invited me into the living room. I walked in as he grabbed his wallet on the arm of the recliner. He pulled out a wad of dollar bills and began to count them. I looked away. The living room was furnished with expensive furniture – the dark brown recliner complemented the seven-seater leather sectional and ottoman. He pressed the dollar bills into my hand and walked me to the door.

“That’s for your transportation and for tomorrow’s lunch. Please buy me the stew with cow feet and ponmo next time.”  I chuckled and teased him about the weight he would start gaining. When we got to the door, I reminded him of the IT position I applied for at his workplace. “Did you have a chance to talk to the HR. manager yet? You’re one of my references, bros.”

“I haven’t had a chance. You know I just got back from this business trip, and I’m in the middle of bringing my wife over.”

“Oh yes! Congrats! When does she arrive?”

He smiled.“She’ll be here in less than a month!”

“You said she’s a minister’s daughter, right?  Which one?” I asked.

“Not that it matters, but she’s the daughter of the Minister of Works and Housing.”

His phone rang somewhere in the apartment. He said he had to go. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” He closed the door in my face before I could answer.

About The Author

Nike Fatoki 2Nike Campbell Fatoki was born in Lvov, Ukraine. She is the second of four children born to Nigerian medical doctors in the old Soviet Union.A graduate of Economics with a minor in Political Science from Howard University, she also has a Master’s degree in International Development from American University.

Nike juggles writing with her day job in budget and finance management at Prince George’s county. Her first novel, A Thread of Gold Beads was published in 2012. Her latest work, Bury Me Come Sunday Afternoon, was released in July 2016.

Nike lives in the Washington DC area with her family, where she is writing her next historical fiction novel set to be published in 2017.

Now leave your questions in the comments section. And don’t forget to join the tour tomorrow on brittlepaper.com and magunga.com.

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-03 at 10.08.30 AM

Place your orders by clicking on the order form. Or buy from the aforementioned book stores. Patabah bookstore is located at Shop B18, Adeniran Ogunsanya mall, Surulere.

Quintessence is at Plot 13, Block 44, Parkview Estate, Ikoyi

21 thoughts on “Welcome to the Online Book Tour of Bury Me Come Sunday Afternoon by Nike Campbell-Fatoki

• Aug 15, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Hello Nike,
    it’s a nice story that you have woven, the excerpt above. Congratulations.
    You used a simple diction in this excerpt. Do you have a liking for it?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Hi Miriam,

Thanks. Yes I do. Simplicity is key for me. However, when a character demands more, or something different, I change the diction.

• Aug 15, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Hi Nike, Good to have you here. As stated, Bury me come Sunday afternoon is a collection of short stories. What inspired you to write this collection and other than the theme of mental illness, is there any other theme we should look forward to in this collection?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Hi,

I was inspired by life experiences – mine and others. There are several themes in the collection – domestic violence, religious fanaticism, child sexual abuse, child marriages, migration and displacement and immigration issues.

• Aug 15, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Hello Nike,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your short story collection.

How do you choose what story ideas to explore? I remember reading The apartment with rapt attention. It was unlike any other story I ever read before. The other stories had this unique quality too.

Where do you get your story ideas and how do you decide which to explore.

Thank you.

And welcome to creative writing news.

• Aug 15, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

My story ideas stem from life experiences. I enjoyed writing Apartment 24. It was actually one of the stories that just flowed when I wrote it. I wanted to write about societal issues, every day issues that people face. I also wanted to write about the diaspora and the issues that immigrants face. That’s how I came upon the story of Apartment 24.

• Aug 15, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Hello Nike.
    Nice to hear that you have this ardour for simple diction. Maybe i do too.
    But do you think that language defines, to a large extent, a well-knitted story?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Yes it does, but so does consideration for what you’re trying to convey the character, the plot. It must all balance out.

• Aug 15, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Albeit i’m yet to get a copy of your work, i’m not oblivious to the fact that one of the issues you explored is migration. And in recent past, migration story has taken a large space in the works of writers.
        Do you think writing about migration is relevant? Is migration so much a burning issue in this epoch?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Hello Nike,
    Congrats on your book. How long did it take you to write and put all these stories together ie from writing to publication?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 4:16 pm

The story had a lot of suspense and mystery. At every point, I kept wondering what would happen next or why a character had made a decision. You’re really good at holding the reader’s attention. What kind of short stories do you like read? Who are your favourite short story writers?

Another question: You mentioned in an interview that you pick your themes /story goals first before you begin each story. My writing process is the reverse. I write and figure out the themes and goals as I go along. How do you manage your process? Do you find that working towards a theme gets in the way of your creative voice?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Thanks. I read all kinds of short stories, doesn’t matter the theme as long as they hold my attention and provoke or challenge my thinking. Sadat Manto, Uwem Akpan are some of my favourite short story writers.

Your next question – no, it doesn’t. it actually gives me clarity. Like I mentioned, I only have a theme in mind, but the story still has to be created, so I still have that creative space to build my characters and plot around the theme.

• Aug 15, 2016 at 6:36 pm

What were the challenges you faced? How did you overcome theme? And what piece of advice can you give to budding writers, like me?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 6:39 pm

What were the challenges you faced? How did you overcome them? And what piece of advice can you give to budding writers, like me?

• Aug 15, 2016 at 8:00 pm

It was somewhat challenging sticking to one social issue per story. I had to be deliberate and clear. it required going back to some stories over again and editing. It was worth it.

To budding writers – perseverance is key. Keep writing and asking for feedback. Read widely, write freely. Develop your unique style, do not copy. You need your own unique voice to add value. All the best. xoxo

• Aug 15, 2016 at 8:34 pm

This is really amazing-your wit.
    Meanwhile your piece, from its name which is catchy, always thought-provoking and always mind-wringing, is a commendable one to be read by all and sundry.
    Once more, congratulations!
    I hope to speak with you vis-a-vis sometime.

Cheers! And have a lovely tour ahead.