Welcome to the Book Tour of Satans and Shaitans

At long last, the tour has begun. And I am excited to share readings and excerpts from  the conspiracy crime thriller, Satans & Shaitans and and a short interview with you. Welcome to a book tour by AMAB Author, Obinna Udenwe.  During this online book tour, the author will stop by seven literary websites, from March 7 through March 14th, 2016. You can read the tour schedule HERE.

Again, welcome to the tour. We’ll start with a book reading.

Listen to Obinna Udenwe read the prologue of Satans and Shaitans

Click the Play button to listen

Click to Download the transcript: Prologue – Satans & Shaitans

Obinna Udenwe gave a brief interview. I hope you enjoy reading.

CWN: Congratulations on winning the ANA Prose Prize 2015. How did it feel to win?

Obinna Udenwe: It felt great. I was excited because Satans and Shaitans is a queer book – it is different from the books you have out there in Nigeria – the very conventional Nigerian book. And you also have to put into consideration the fact that it belongs to an orphaned genre, the crime fiction. So there was the fear that this book, though well loved by the readers, might not be well received by judges in a literary contest, as we find mostly in Nigeria that most of the judges are academics and most of them who are academics do not take to genre fiction.

CWN: What did you enjoy most about writing this novel?

Obinna Udenwe: The research part. It took me seven years to work on the book – long years of research on various things – the issues of terrorism and insurgency and how jihad is related to terrorism. I had to study what jihad is, if jihad and terrorism is same thing and if one who is a terrorist can argue strongly that he is a jihadist and if he can, does Islam approve of his struggle as jihad. I had to read the holy Quran to understand Islam better. I had to dissect the holy book to find the surahs that talk about jihad and war. I had to read the Hadith. You see, the two books are the strongest Islamic reference points – you cannot say that you understand the religion of Islam well if you haven’t read the Quran and the Hadith.

I had to research on the Catholic part, but that was easy because I am Catholic and was an Altar Boy for close to ten years. I had to research on the making of Improvised Explosive Devices, and also on the northern part of Nigeria to find a suitable place to situate Kafurzan, the fictional town where the Centre for Islamic Knowledge is in the book. So the most exciting part of writing the book was the research.

Another reading by Obinna Udenwe, author of the Satans and Shaitans, Satans and Shaitans Page 108.

Click the Play button to listen

Do you have questions for Obinna Udenwe? Leave your questions in the comments section. Don’t forget to write your name at the end of the comment. There will be a draw at the end of all the tours. And free books will be given to tour participants. Want to increase your chances of winning an autographed copy? Don’t just ask questions.  Place an order via the buy links. Mention @Amabbooks on twitter or send an email to amabbooks@gmail.com. Book orders automatically give you three spots in the Rafflecopter draw.

I hope you had a great time. Don’t forget to share and attend the other tours on all six other websites. There will be more readings and more fun.

About The Author

3_filtered copy

Obinna Udenwe is the author of the conspiracy crime thriller, Satans & Shaitans, published in Nigeria by AMAB books and in the UK in 2014 by Jacaranda Books.

Satans & Shaitans was a joint winner of the ANA Prose Prize in 2015. His novel addresses very topical issues of terrorism, jihad and politics. He is one of the few African writers fearless enough to delve into controversial issues – in 2015 he eroticised the Nigerian church in fiction in a series titled Holy Sex, published to wide readership and criticism.

In 2015 he established the ‘Crossover Mexico-Nigeria’ writing project. His works have appeared in Fiction365, Ehanom Review, Brittle Paper, Tribe, Kalahari Review, Alariwo, African Writer, Outside In Magazine etc., and anthologised in African Roar, Dreams at Dawn, ANA Review, and the Short Story is Dead Long Live the Short Story. In 2014 he was honoured with the award of the ‘State Literary Icon’ by the Government of Ebonyi State. Obinna Udenwe is a farmer and a democracy enthusiast.

Obinna Udenwe will be stopping at two websites tomorrow.

Praxis Magazine For Arts and Literature — 8th March, 2016

Praxismagonline.com

Say My Name — 8th March, 2016

Iquoeke.blogspot.com

Don’t forget to enjoy the varied readings and excerpts and interviews they will feature.

29 thoughts on “Welcome to the Book Tour of Satans and Shaitans

• Mar 7, 2016 at 6:27 am

Hello friends,

My name is Obinna Udenwe. It is a pleasure to connect with you on this tour. I will be here all day to answer your questions on my book Satans & Shaitans and to also interact with you on issues relating to politics, jihad and terrorism and how these issues are explored in my book, also how they affect our country Nigeria and Africa at large.
    Thank you for joining in.

Mercie!

• Mar 7, 2016 at 7:16 am

I have read this great work and have started gathering matetiaks for a critique on it. It really opened my eyes wider yo the undertones of the misfortune called terror and jihad sweeping across the world. Obinna Udenwe does it so well that it rips our senses so hard that we are forced to pay attention.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 7:57 am

Thanks so much, Ms Udo Chukwu. I am happy you have read the book. Are there issues you want to point out?

• Mar 7, 2016 at 9:00 am

Mr Obinna Udenwe you are a very good writer. Terrorism is a great enemy of the entire humanity, I love the way you prove all your point on this one and I must say you left no room for critics. You are one of the best writters Nigeria can currently boast of and I pray the good God gives you the strength and ideas to reach the highest points.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 11:03 am

Just a line to support my brother and fellow writer Obinna and to commend this novel idea. I am proud to own an autographed copy of ‘SAS’, a book which couldn’t have come at a better time and I urge everyone to endeavour to order theirs. Its a page turner you will love to keep and read again. Cheers.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 11:57 am

Thanks for stopping by Nze. Satans and Shaitans is an amazing read.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I hope I didn’t come late too to the party o. Obinna I totally loved Satans and Shaitans. But I’m curious about something. Why did you choose to write the story—about terrorism and corruption— as a crime fiction. You could have written it as highbrow fiction—like something Adichie or Teju Cole would write, but you didn’t. Why?

• Mar 7, 2016 at 7:16 pm

You’re not late Ainehi. Forgive me. I just saw your comment. Welcome to the tour.

Obinna, over to you.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Dear Ainehi

Sorry for this late response. Thanks for your question. Satans and Shaitans couldn’t have worked as highbrow fiction because one cannot write about terrorism and politics and corruption without writing about crime. A terrorist story cannot be told without mention of conspiracy plans, attacks and killings, same as political stories and stories about corruption — anything less than that would amount to insulting the intelligence of the readers and making the story narrow.
      If you read Mario Puzo’s The Godfather you’d notice that the story about the Mafian family wouldn’t have worked without the conspiracies and murders.
      So for Satans and Shaitans, the idea is to educate and raise the readers consciousnesses on these pertinent issues, while entertaining them with the romance/love aspect and touch their emotions with the killings and crime.
      Again, it is as if African writers (aside South African writers) are scared of delving into crime fiction whereas every day, crime happen in Africa, so far me I wanted to resuscitate this genre especially in Nigeria — to draw attention to this genre and this kind of storytelling. And it worked because Nigerian readers are in love with this story and they like the fact it is different from every other book out there. It is a story that captivates the mind and races the heart til the end while drawing attention to the reality we experience everyday in Nigeria.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Obinna Udenwe, I enjoyed reading Satans and Shaitans. You did a great job.

Why did you choose to make Chief Donald a misogynist? Very rarely do we see such characters in novels. We’re used to seeing chronic womanizers, but not haters. Did you draw that character trait from someone you know or from a book or a documentary?

I’m curious.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Ms Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam for your question. Just as there are chronic womanizers we have misogynists in the world – men who hate women not because they are gay but because they believe women are weak, they believe that to associate with women or have affairs with them diminishes their power or make them look weak. It is such a shame but these men exist. Sometimes you see this trait in very powerful men just as you see powerful men who go soft at the sight of women. There are different kinds of people.
      In Satans and Shaitans, Chief Donald Amechi is like that naturally, and he is also the Sacred Lord of the secret society and he had rules to keep. I think that what stands Satans and Shaitans out is the ability to bring fresh perspective to the African narrative. To introduce and throw up so many issues and get the readers thinking.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Once, have you reasoned you’d be stalked for the connectedness of the book to some conspiracies that still pillage NIGERIA?. If your are not detered in a country where we missed Dele Giwa for daring to be bold let’s get to know where your audacity comes from. Upcoming writers would want to read your responce. I like this ‘tour idea’

• Mar 7, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Hi Mr. Celestine, it is great to have you here and I appreciate your love for my works. I know you from Brittle Paper. Thank you for participating.

To answer your question, I think that artists are gods and so we do not have to be scared to create ‘truth’. It is true that Satans and Shaitans foreshadows most of the issues ravaging our country and these issues and those behind them are deadly and dangerous but the key is to try and write or create in such a way that you do not insult the faith, behaviour, activities and acts of people. Most people think that Satans and Shaitans is anti-Islam but you need to read the book to know that it is not. The book tries to bring to focus the pertinent issues without bringing anyone or group or religion to negative light.
      My audacity comes from knowing that I ‘create truth’ and entertain without insulting or being sentimental. Young writers shouldn’t be afraid to write or be creative as long as they do it right.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Obinna Udenwe’s ‘Satans and Shaitans’ is an intrepid and groundbreaking crime novel. It is a quintessence of a work of a good novelist.

Mr Udenwe, I think what Donaldo felt for Adeline was true love? If yes, why didn’t he think of another means of handling the issue of Adeline’s pregnancy instead of killing her?

• Mar 7, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Hi Mr Celestine. Thanks for this awesome question. Donaldo truly, truly loved Adeline. But he had a problem in his mind. He was psychotic, he was emotionally and psychologically depressed, he was caged for a greater part of his life and that affected him so much and made him think narrowly. Before he met Adeline, his father had hammered it into his head several times that he shouldn’t fail, that if he failed he was in trouble – his father brought him up wrongly and made him a very scared young man – so when Adeline became pregnant he couldn’t think straight. He was scared and despondent. He didn’t have friends to consult, he didn’t know about pregnancy, about abortion. Recall that when Adeline told him that she had missed her period, he didn’t even know what that meant 🙂

• Mar 7, 2016 at 4:49 pm

lovely read. The book seems quite controversial. Definitely going to draw in a lot of critics. Good job.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Thank you, Miriam. I hope you have read it. If you haven’t go on Twitter and make a purchase using the hashtag provided above.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Take it or mock it, i flung out the novel through the window as soon as Obinna and Donald killed Adline. Donald is a stoat as Obinna sorry to say this. I come to love Adline since They cant love and keep her. Now i ask obinna why must Adline die. The story would have gone well without this.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Mr Celestine, I like the fact that you are sad about what happened to Adeline — you have every right to be sad, just as sad as you can be when you lose a loved one — and that is the essence of art; to make you feel sad or happy or ecstatic or depressed or fuck more or become celibate or religious or denounce God or turn to Satan.
      So since the book made you sad it had effect on you, which is good. 🙂
      And who says the story would have gone well without what happened to Adeline? The plot depended on Adeline suffering that fate. It was that fate that drove everything that happened afterwards, especially the failure of the Secret Society to control Mohammed Seko and his terrorist cell which they helped create.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Oh Celestine! Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

• Mar 7, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Dear Author, Congratulations on your book. I found myself wondering why you chose such a peculiar title. Why was the devil in the detail?

• Mar 7, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Thanks Mr Sam. The title Satans and Shaitans best explains the book. It shows and brings to mind the two forces in the book – the Christians and the Muslims, the Secret Society and the terror organization. At first, people complained that the title would scare readers away, but truth is that the reverse has been the opposite so far. You know, people love what they fear — because the title is scary people want to read the book to find out what it is all about. So I chose the title because it captures the story and because it is scary.

• Mar 8, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Bro Obinna Udenwe, I want to know what challenges you have faced since this book got to the global market. Has there been any threat to your life or your work since then and what you think you might do if there is? We need you today and tomorrow please!

• Mar 9, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Mr Oliver, thanks for your question. I am safe, my brother. And there is no threat to my life, why should there be?

• Mar 10, 2016 at 9:52 am

Pls can i get another link for downloading or reading d book….nothing on dis page is workin on my Microsoft phone. And pls forward it to my email

• Pingback: THE WINNERS OF THE BOOK TOUR GIVEAWAY – Creative Writing News

• Apr 21, 2016 at 8:23 am

how can i get the book

• Apr 21, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Send an email to amabbooks@gmail.com and the book will be delivered to you wherever you are. Thanks